Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Welcome Home!

This month we had the great pleasure to welcome back two wonderful friends to the Barony. Lord Abdullah al-Rashid and Lady Genevieve O'Connor. Jobs and life took them to the Middle Kingdom for a short time (Barony of Red Spears in NW Ohio), but we are fortunate to have them back with us. As some of the newer folks might not have had the pleasure of meeting them, I decide to ask them some questions and they happily agreed.

Lord Abdullah al-Rashid

Real Name: Frank Conner.

SCA name and title: Lord (or Sergeant) Abdullah al-Rashid formerly of the Barony of Red Spears Canton of Catteden (Findlay, Ohio).

Number of years in the SCA: 10 years as a card bearing member, although I had come to practices at least a few years before (I think around 2002). 1st event was Ice Dragon 1992.

Persona: Ottoman Turk.  I like to research middle eastern culture and have a decent library.

Interests/achievements in the SCA: I am authorized in heavy weapons (Sergeant in Red Company*), fencing, archery, and combat archery. I also enjoy leather working and garb making.I have been a Baronial exchequer, Canton chatelaine, web minister,  and Knight Marshal. I am a Midrealm martial in heavy, fencing,  and combat archery. I would like to hold an office again.

SCA goals for 2017: One thing in 2017 would be to enhance my fighting kit.

 Lady Genevieve O'Connor

Real Name: Jennifer Conner.

SCA Name and title: Lady Genevieve O'Connor.

Number of Years in the SCA: 10 years as a card carrying member.  the first event I went to was Ice Dragon in 1992. I have been more active in the Society for the past 6 years.

Persona: I like to research the Ottoman and Viking eras and have some books to on Viking.

Interests/achievements in the SCA: I became a Lady in The Barony of Red Spears in 2011. I recieved my Willow in 2013 in Weaving.  In 2015 I received my Purple Fret for Service.  I have been an Exchequer, Seneschal, and Chatelaine for the Canton of Catteden, I have also Co-Autocrated Pounce for the last 5 years.  For the Baronial side I was the Baronial Minister of Arts and Sciences. I like to weave and make garb. I also do pottery and some embroidery. I became a Protege to Mistress Isgerder in 2016. I am a member of The Sisterhood of the Red Spear** (2014).

SCA goals for 2017: In 2017 I would like to get back to weaving more, hold an office again, and do more service.

Notes: 

*The Red Company is an Order of the Middle Kingdom. It is awarded to those who have shown proficiency and leadership in melee and/or tournament combat. 

**The Sisterhood of the Red Spear is more a service household than an actual award in the Barony of Red Spears and is headed by the current Baroness. The Sisters of the Red Spear are responsible for organizing a project within the Barony to assist each Queen during her reign.


No comments:

Post a Comment