Sunday, March 5, 2017

Interview with Jenna Macpherson of Lions Tower

We are continuing our series of interviews with members of the Hael with Jenna Macpherson of Lions Tower. A fixture at local practice and events, Jenna is certainly an inspiration to all who meet her and is always a pleasure to speak with. Thank you Mistress Jenna for taking the time to answer a few questions and introduce yourself to any who might already know you (which I am sure if a short list). 

Real name: Carole Goranson

SCA name:  Jenna Macpherson of Lions Tower

When did you join the SCA or how long have you been involved? October 1985 so 32 years.

What is your Persona? Persona is early-is Scottish.

Do you belong to any groups in the SCA?

 I currently stand as the head of house Lions Tower in the stead of Sir Raimund of the Striat and Viscountess Angharad of the Sleeping Lion. I am also squire to Sir Angus MacBain head of House Singing Stone with his lady Mistress Yvianne. I have a protégé baron Boris Dragonsbane of house Dragonsbane and affiliate of House Highrafters and clan Kaminari.

What activities do you participate in?

Over 32 years there are very few activities I have not participated in. I have been seneschal of the Hael 3 times (2 terms each), I have been the autocrat of Ice Dragon I believe 5 times, the autocrat for two coronations, masked ball, crown tourney, and academy. I have been on staff for many local events as marshal, mol, or in the kitchens. I've been on Pennsic staff for chirurgeons and for youth combat. I have held the offices of seneschal, mol, fencing marshal, and youth combat marshal, or been deputies to those offices on the local, regional, and kingdom levels. I am most proud of my work in youth combat. In 2014 I re-authorized in rapier and authorized for the first time (at age 50) in heavy combat and have fought in 3 crown tournaments (in addition to being a consort in several others). I received a pelican at war practice in 2005 from Maynard von dem Steine and Liadain ni Dheirdre Chaomhanaigh.

Do you have any SCA goal for 2017?

For 2017 I have a number of goals in regards to my rattan fighting. I am currently being held back a bit due to knee replacement surgery in October 2016. I also have a new protégé to work with for the next year and I have some goals in mind for him as well. There are a couple office I would like to be a part of when they become available.


What advice would you give a new person in the SCA?

I would tell a new person that you can never ask too many questions. We in the SCA have so much knowledge across so many areas that the questions never end. After 32 years I find my mind still consumed with new questions as I begin new activities and new relationships. As the kingdom is growing out of its difficult teen years, there are always new avenues for participation. I have found, quite recently in fact that the only opportunity that is truly missed is the one we don’t claim for ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment