Friday, August 18, 2017

Miriel's Pennsic 46 Top Ten 2017

Miriel's Pennsic 46 Top Ten 2017!

1. Volunteering for the Blood Drive
I've been volunteering for the Pennsic blood drive since my first Pennsic, Pennsic 41. I can not donate because of the anti-rejection medications I take, so I help with giving people snacks and making sure they make it out the door safe, or this year I helped with the sign in, greeting people and giving them the info they need to know. Usually the blood drive happens twice during war, sadly this year the second day of the drive had to be canceled because of Red Cross staffing issues. However it was still wonderful, seeing return guests coming again to donate, meeting new people, talking about our how our war has been going and wishing people well. Donation is a big part of my life (Kidney transplant recipient) so I am moved by the generosity of those willing to give blood and those who give their time to plan this each year.

2. Fencing in the Rapier Adult Swim
I was worried I would miss this, because it was scheduled on the same day as the Friday Blood Drive, but it was rescheduled to the middle Saturday due to rain and I was ecstatic. I showed up a bit early to get my inspection sticker and was ready to fight at 9am. I fought so many White Scarves and and MOD's a large amount of them I had never met before, each one giving me advice that was beyond helpful to someone still just trying to find her way in Rapier. What a great time it was, I fought until 3:00pm that day and didn't want to quit but had to because of Opening Ceremonies prep.

3. Fencing in the Ladies Rapier Tourney
Another Fencing Tourney I was unsure I would be able to attend and ended up having a break in my schedule. I ran down to my camp, put on my fencing armor, grabbed my gear and ran back up the hill so I could sign up and fight some outstanding rapier fighters. This four list round robin, was fast and furious, I meet people from all over the world (Seriously! One of the ladies was from Lochac, she had awesome fencing armor), and loved every minute of it.



4. Watching our Champions in the KW Archery and Fencing Baronial Championships
I love that I can get the chance to support our champions as they compete against baronial champions from all over the Known World. Our Archery Champ Simonetta and Rapier Champ Wolfgang, showed their skills to the best degree and did the barony proud as they always do.

5. Sitting around the fire in Hael Camp
Last year the heat was so bad, the barony camp was only really able to enjoy a fire once or twice. This year we had the most wonderful chilly nights, so I had the chance to sit around the fire with everyone in camp, sharing food, stories, laughs, and warmth. I didn't realize how much I had missed the soft glow of the fire and the sound of the drums in the distance until we were able to have it again in our great Hael camp. 

6. Standing with the Hael Cats for the Fencing Battles on Tuesday of War Week
What a rush!! Lining up with His Excellency, Thalia, Wolfgang, Kateryne, Alexia, Cody, Abdul and more Allies of the Hael was spectacular. We couldn't always stay together but we moved where we were needed , helped AEthelmearc hold the line, take the flag, and be a down right pain in the butt to the other side. Hael Yeah!!

7. Listening to Meuric talk about all the classes he has taken
Meuric (my husband) took over 50 classes at Pennsic this year which is a record breaker for him! Last year he took around 47. I loved to catch up with him at dinner time in the food court and ask him about what he learned today, One time he told me about a winding trip to the bog to learn period drinking songs, sometimes he would show me a project he started working on, I think my favorite was the one when the first lightning storm hit and the large A&S tent he was in got hit by a lighting strike. He learns so much and loves to share it with others.

8. Woodland Watch Kabob dinner
I love my household, and getting a chance during my crazy war week at Pennsic to join them for a camp dinner was so nice. Sitting under a sunshade chatting with everyone about their lives, the event, what they are doing, and just listening to people laugh and eat together can't be beat.

9. Bar-tending at the KW Party
This was awesome!! There are times that I love talking to people and this is the perfect time for that, I can ask someone what they'd like to drink, get it for them, chat a bit, then they are on their way. I'd like to say thank you to my fellow bartenders who put up with my large lack of knowledge on the drinks often my reply to someone asking about a drink was “it's a beer....?” and then someone would fill in the blanks for me. You guys are the true heroes, you put in the time and effort to make the alcohol and then donate it so people could enjoy it and spend the night telling people about it and encouraging them to try other peoples as well.

10. Ice Cream Floats!
The Ice cream place had so many different flavors!! I think I had one every day, I regret nothing!

1 comment: